Learn more about our management packages today —
Call toll free (888) 565-1226

Decking the Halls in Your Homeowner’s Association

The fall and winter holiday months are the perfect time to show your holiday spirit. Regardless of which occasion is your favorite, this time of year draws homeowners to the holiday aisles filled with décor of all kinds.  In fact, a recent study revealed that the value of United States imports of Christmas lights alone totaled $463.2 million in 2017.[1] It looks like everyone is eager to spread the holiday cheer.

But, before you turn your home into a scene straight out of Christmas with the Kranks, you should make sure your homeowner’s association doesn’t have any prohibitions on the types of décor allowed. You might be shocked to learn that your homeowner’s association can regulate your outdoor décor, but it is common for planned communities to include restrictive provisions of this type.

Each community’s rules and regulations will vary, but understanding your community’s restrictions will help you avoid any possible violations. Common, but permissible restrictions include: limiting string lights to white or yellow (as opposed to multi-colored) and prohibiting inflatable lawn decorations of a certain size or altogether.

With the holidays fast approaching, we recommend that homeowners associations, as well as homeowners, become familiar with the types of decorations prohibited by their governing documents.

If you are an Association seeking clarity on what your governing documents allow, contact the attorneys at Black, Slaughter & Black for assistance. We wish you and your family a happy holiday season!

[1] Profile America Facts for Features: The 2017 Holiday Season, U.S. Census Bureau (Nov. 20, 2017), https://www.census.gov/newsroom/facts-for-features/2017/holiday.html.

Author: Brittney Millisor
Articles have been Reprinted with permission from Black, Slaughter, Black.

* These articles and related content on this website are provided without warranty of any kind and in no way constitute or provide legal advice. You are advised to contact an attorney specializing in Association Management for legal advice related to your specific issue and community. Some articles are provided by thrid parties and online services. Display of these articles does in no way endorse the products or services of Community Association Management by the author(s).

Font Resize